How do I file a charge of discrimination?

A charge of discrimination is filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission office, and it can be done online at, or it can be done in person or by mail. We strongly recommend that you file your charge of discrimination in person because it not only ensures that an EEOC staff member can review the charge to make sure it’s been completed correctly, especially if you’re doing it without an attorney, but it also ensures that the EEOC in fact receives your charge of discrimination.